Mount Rinjani and Segara Anak Lake, West Nusa Tenggara.
Mount Rinjani or Gunung Rinjani is one of around 129 active volcanoes in Indonesia located on the island of Lombok. Administratively, the mountain lies in the Regency of North Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara. It rises to 3,726 metres (12,224 ft), making it the second highest volcano in Indonesia (wikipedia). Mount Rinjani offers the best panorama of all volcanoes in Indonesia.
|Mount Rinjani with Segara Anak Lake in the foreground.|
Climbing Mount Rinjani is among the attractions of Mount Rinjani National Park. The summit of Mount Rinjani is the most visited destination by most climbers as reaching the peak is the pride of visiting this area. Most climbing activities take place between July and August with the majority of them are students to commemorate the independence day of Indonesia on August 17 on the peak of Mount Rinjani and Segara Anak Lake.
|Segara Anakan Lake with Gunung Barujari.|
Segara Anak Lake is a crater lake with the shape of crescent moon totaling an area of 1,100 Ha on the elevation of around 2,010 m above sea level and with the depth of around 230 m. On the eastern side of the Caldera, there rise a new volcanic mount called Gunung Baujari. The area surrounding the lake is flat and large enough for camping ground. Visitors can also do fishing as well as soaking in the hot water with sulfur content.
There are two main trekking routes available to reach the top of Mount Rinjani and Segara Anak Lake : Trekking route Senaru and Sembalun. The trekking route of Sembalun as follows :
- Mataram - Aikmel - Sembalu, 4 to 5 hours using public transports with hotmix road;
- Sembalun Lawang - Plawangan Sembalun, 6 to 7 hours;
- Plawangan Sembalun - the top of Mount Rinjani, 3 to 4 hours;
- Plawangan Sembalun - Segara Anak lake, 2 to 3 hours.
- Mataram - Bayan - Senaru, 3 to 4 hours using public transports with hotmix road;
- Senaru - Plawangan Senaru, 7 to 8 hours;
- Plawangan Snaru - Segara Anak Lake, 2 to 3 hours;
- Segara Anak lake - Plawangan Sembalun, 3 to 4 hours.
ource: Balai Taman Nasional Gunung Rijani, Kementerian Lingkungan Hidup dan Kehutanan.