Visit Bandung, West Java: Saung Mang Udjo Preserving Sundanese Culture
Bandung is always the first choice for residents of Jakarta and surrounding areas. Not only close and cool, Bandung also has so many of tourism options that attract so many people in Jakarta, Bogor, Sentul, even Banten and Sukabumi come repeatedly to come this city including art and culture such as Saung Angklung Udjo.
Saung Angklung Udjo (SAU) is an art and cultural destination of tourism in West Java Province. SAU was established by Udjo Ngalagena, well known as Mang Udjo or in Sundanese means Uncle Ujo, in 1966 with a view to preserving and maintaining traditional Sundanese arts and culture. Located at Jl. Padasuka No.118, Pasirlayung, Cibeunying Kidul, Kota Bandung, Jawa Barat, Indonesia.
SAU offers a complete set of art and cultural attractions from the venue of performance, the center of handicrafts from bamboo, and bamboo musical instrument workshop. In addition, the SAU has a goal as educational laboratory and learning center to preserve Sundanese culture and especially Angklung.
Angklung is a traditional musical instrument made from conjoined bamboo. The instrument is played by swaying and shaking the pieces of bamboo. in 1938, Deang Soetigna created diatonic Angklung. Since then, Angklung has received wider international attention and has been used for educational and entertainment purposes. In November 16, 2010, Angklung was awarded recognition by UNESCO as a""World Intangible Cultural Heritage". It is,therefore, an accomplishment to the people of Indonesia including Saung Angklung Udjo.
|A Certificate of Recognition from UNESCO in SAU.|
In SAU, visitors can get to know better Sundanese art and culture by attending:
- Art and Culture Performance; The afternoon Bamboo Show is an inherited work of art by the late Udjo Ngalagena that is still able to be enjoyed. It is a frezied, energetic show that is being performed every day, starting at 3:30 PM.
- Angklung Production Center: SAU is claimed to be the finest Angklung making center in Indonesia, in its workshop visitors will get to see how candidly the Angklung crafteman turns a trunk of bamboo ito a tube that produces a brilliant sound.
- Educational Training Center; with its mission to preserve and conserve the sundanese culture, it is no wonder that SAU retains its function as an educational institution and becomes part of everyday life in the community.
- Venue/Banquet;SAU banquet is a Sundanese village diorama which offers a wide selection of facilities with Sudanese touches.
- Souvenir shop; SAU also provides the finest Sundanese handicrafts including a wide range of bamboo handicrafts in the souvenir shop. Don't forget to get some as souvenir to be brought home.
Source: wikipedia, and Saung Angklung Udjo :Nature and Culture in Harmony.